Monday, January 14, 2008

Gui Qiu Mei becomes Mei-Leigh Malone

We'll, it's monday night and I just realized by this time next week, Jin Tao finally be with us. As Mei-Leigh is playing in her bath, laughing and calling my name 100 TIMES, I started to think back on what it was like almost 2 1/2 years ago when we went to China to bring HER home.

As I thought about that trip, I remembered how scared Mei-Leigh was on "Gotcha Day". Now, she didn't want you to know that. In fact, when we came off the elevator at the Civil Affairs office in Changsha, China, Mei-Leigh was there, standing in the room with 2 other little girls just staring. She would not cry, but just boldly looked at everyone with a blank expression on her face. As if to say, "you are not going to get to me." After we were in the room for about 30 minutes they called our name and then handed our little girl to us. Mei-Leigh came to us, Laurie held her and she just laid against her shoulder with the same blank stare and with watery eyes. We sat down and I broke out the 'Teddy Grahams,' and yes I still parent by candy. She grabbed as many as both her little hands could hold. Before long we boarded our little bus and headed to Wal Mart. You haven't been to a Wal Mart until you've been to one in China, it was wild. Mei-Leigh fell asleep in my arms as I stroked her hair. She had a rough day. The next day (God is so good) Mei-Leigh was running in the hotel lobby from me to Laurie over and over again, laughing and smiling. It was like she realized, "hey these two people are mine now. If I run to them they will catch me, if I fall they willl pick me up."

Now some 30 months later, it is impossible to imagine life without her. We were all meant to be together. Mei-Leigh has changed our lives. She is truly amazing! And less than one week from now, God will place another little one in our lives. I can't wait to see how it all goes down.

(The pictures to the right are of Mei-Leigh in the orphanage before she came home to us. The other picture is of Mei-Leigh dressed up as Dorothy at our Fall Festival with Jenna Countryman her Changsha buddy)

No comments: