Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Was Thinking...

It’s 4 am Wednesday morning (China time). Jin Tao is in bed asleep across the room. Mei-Leigh and Laurie are on the other side of the bed watching Shrek. No, they still have not adjusted to China time. Yeah, you’re right, they probably will the day that we leave to come home. Isn’t life funny.

The sounds of Shrek, Jin Tao’s breathing and Mei-Leigh eating rainbow chocolate chip cookies fill the air…

Okay, I’m back…

My reflecting on the computer and my poetic flow of words, were interrupted by Jin Tao waking up crying. I got up and along with Laurie we told him it was okay, held his hand until he closed his eyes and went back to sleep. From now on when he cries there will be a momma and baba there to comfort him, how cool.

So, once again the room is filled with those same three sounds.

Now I won’t keep you long but as I laid in bed at 4 am looking at my new son and seeing my 4 year old daughter Mei-Leigh eating cookies I could not help but think about the power of a moment. I mean most seem so ordinary, but yet each one is packed with incredible power.

It was almost 4 years ago (January 30, 2004) when I heard the voice of God more clearly then I ever have, before or since (I don’t think I’m a very good listener). It was just a moment, yet it changed my life forever.

I was just sitting in the back of the auditorium of our church listening to a Christ In Youth speaker. I had slipped in during the final moments of his talk. He was telling the students gathered about how little girls were bought, sold and abused all around the world. It was in that moment that I heard God tell me, “Steve I want you to rescue a little girl from an orphanage in another country.”

Little did I know that at that very moment a 5 month old little girl that God had set apart for us, lay in a crib in a Chinese orphanage, her very life waiting for my response.

I am so glad…

Man, that word falls woefully short. And unfortunately I can’t think of a better one. But that’s okay. I think you know what I am trying to say. “I sooo thank God that I said yes when that moment came!” I am so glad that when THIS ‘God moment’ came, that I let nothing stand in my way. Not money. Not paperwork. Not fear. Not doubt. Not the unknown. Not the fact that I will be 65 when Jin Tao graduates from High School (now that’s crazy I don’t care who you are).

(I’m sorry for keeping you so long. I will try to wrap this thing up so you can take it home. Forgive me, I am preacher at heart).

Bottom line our God is alive and active. And because of this ‘God moments’ – moments packed with adventure, life and unimaginable possibility surround us every day. But too many times, we miss those moments. Too many times, we say no to the voice of God. Too many times, we let money, paperwork, fear, doubt, the unknown, and being 65 when your son graduates high school (or their equivalents) keep us from saying yes.

When I think of all of the life, adventure, wonder, power and love that God packed into one moment nearly 4 years ago. When I think of all it has brought me. When I think of the other lives it has and will continue to change… All I can say is that I want to say yes to that voice MORE!

What an adventure with God awaits to be lived by each of us! Think of the countless lives that are waiting for our response to the voice of God.

Well, that is all I have to say about that…

I think I’ll crawl back in bed for a few more hours with the family, before we start another new day.

We love you all.

See you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve

You are a preacher at heart. Love the word you just gave and your story. Don't worry about the age thing. Your only as old as you feel.

Love ya all...

Ed DeCoursey